Home

Lightning Strike Damages Sandy Hook House

Amid a late spring thunderstorm on the evening of Friday, May 23, firefighters from three local volunteer fire companies responded to a report of a house fire caused by a lightning strike on Jeremiah Road in Sandy Hook.

Sandy Hook, Botsford, and Hook & Ladder firefighters responded to the incident at 5:55 pm at 27 Jeremiah Road, on the corner of Jeremiah Road and Fox Hollow Lane. There were no injuries.

Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire & Rescue Chief Bill Halstead said that no one was at home at the Carpenter residence when lightning struck the building’s propane system.

The lightning strike caused a propane line to leak the flammable compressed gas, which then caught fire and charred the eastern exterior wall of the raised-ranch house, Chief Halstead said.

The fire caused an estimated $5,000 to $10,000 worth of damage to the insured building, he said. The damaged wall is clad with wooden shakes, he said.

Firefighters vented smoke from the house, which remains habitable, he said.

The propane line that was struck by lightning was connected to a 100-gallon propane tank, he said.

The lightning strike did not cause an explosion, Chief Halstead said.

On arriving at the scene, firefighters saw flames emanating from the burning shakes, after which they extinguished the blaze, he said.

You must register or login to post a comment.