For those of you watching the premiere of this season’s American Idol on Wednesday, January 15, you might have recognized Sandy Hook resident Hayley Pettinato. She was shown briefly, but earned a “golden ticket” to continue on to Hollywood, where the show continues. Seventeen-year-old Hayley is one of three Connecticut residents chosen by the judges for this season. “Getting that golden ticket was honestly like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. It was so surreal.
The State of Connecticut has banned flying ice this winter — and every winter from now on. The new law took effect last week just in time for the year’s first big storm. It will levy fines — up to $1,250 for drivers of commercial trucks — for failure to clean snow and ice from their vehicles.
On Monday morning, department heads at the C.H. Booth Library got to work sorting through materials on the first and second floor of the 1998 addition, where water damage from burst pipes Saturday afternoon, January 4, was evident in sodden carpeting throughout the affected areas, trash bags filled with water-logged paper supplies and ruined equipment, ceiling tiles on the floors, and the pervasive smell of dampened plaster.
Workers from J.P. MaGuire Associates returned to the C.H. Booth Library on Main Street in Newtown, early Sunday morning, January 5, to continue damage control from flooding that occurred at the library Saturday afternoon, when pipes located above the second floor office of the director froze and burst.
C.H. Booth Library Acting Director Beryl Harrison reported Saturday afternoon, January 4, that sprinkler pipes above the second floor of the library apparently froze and broke, at approximately 3 pm, causing the ceiling to collapse in the director's office and tech services area of the second floor, as well as in the first floor children's department.
"No one was hurt," said Ms Harrison, though some staff members in the immediate area "got a little wet."
Students in Newtown High School art teacher Carol Skolas’s Advanced Placement Portfolio class have artwork on display until Friday, December 20, in the meeting room at C.H. Booth Library, 25 Main Street.
The students involved were Becca Aimely, Hannah Bartlett, Emily Berube, Samantha Crawford, Jamie Duncan, Graham Johnson, Anna Pasacreta, Karleigh Rivard, Bella Saraceni, and Emma Sullivan.
The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of the C.H. Booth Library was delayed Tuesday evening, November 12, when a malfunctioning boiler set off fire alarms, evacuating the barely seated board members, staff, and patrons into the cold night. Hook & Ladder Fire Company, responding to the alarm, swept the building, gave it the okay, and within 20 minutes, everyone was back in the building and back to business.