Garner Inmate Arrested After Serious Prison Assault

State police report they responded to a serious assault in which one inmate attacked another inmate within Garner Correctional Institution, the state’s high-security prison at 50 Nunnawauk Road.

State police said this week that on the afternoon of May 8, they received a call from Garner reporting an assault that had occurred about 1:33 pm.

State police said their investigation found that the altercation occurred between inmates Travis Hampton, 34, and Jeffrey Allman, 24.

State police said that the fight took place minutes after inmates living in Cellblock E were allowed to enter that cellblock’s common area for recreation.

Allman received serious injuries and was transported to Danbury Hospital for treatment, state police said.

On the afternoon of May 15, Allman was listed as a patient in the prisoner section of the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington. Allman’s medical condition was not available.

“It was learned that Allman was stabbed several times by Hampton, who was armed with a shank,” state police said in a statement.  A “shank” is a sharp weapon, such as a homemade knife, that is made by a prisoner.

State police charged Hampton with first-degree assault and with possession of weapon in a correctional institution, both of which are Class B felonies that carry heavy penalties for convictions.

Hampton was arraigned on the charges on May 9 in Danbury Superior Court. He did not plead to the charges. His next court appearance is scheduled for June 6.

Hampton was being held on May 15 at the state Department of Correction’s (DOC) Northern Correctional Institution in Somers, which is a maximum security prison.

Hampton has been incarcerated since August 2003. He is serving a 59-year sentence for multiple convictions on various serious felonies.

DOC spokesman Andrius Banevicius said that no DOC workers were injured in the incident involving Hampton and Allman. Banevicius declined to provide details on the assault.

State Trooper Phillip George investigated the incident with the assistance of the state police’s Western District Major Crime Squad.

You must register or login to post a comment.