The long-awaited investigatory report on the 12/14 shootings at Sandy Hook School, in which 20 first-graders and six adults died, is expected to be released on Monday, November 25, according to notifications received by local officials.
That report had been expected to be disclosed earlier this year, but its author, State’s Attorney Stephen J. Sedensky III, repeatedly has said that the release of details of the investigation would have to await the completion of the full report
The Sedensky report is based on an exhaustive state police investigation into the mass murder incident.
On the morning of December 14, 20-year old Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother at their home.
Lanza then drove from his Yogananda Street residence to Sandy Hook School, shot his way into the building with a military-style semiautomatic rifle, and then methodically shot and killed 26 people. As police approached, Lanza shot and killed himself.
The crime investigation involves both state and federal law enforcement agencies. The victims’ families have been updated regularly on the investigation by state police and the state’s attorney.
In a November 19 letter to the parents of students in the public school system, Interim School Superintendent John Reed advises parents that the crime report is expected to be disclosed on November 25.
Dr Reed said that he wants parents to consider what steps they should take to limit their children’s exposure to news media coverage of the report.
With the letter, Dr Reed enclosed some advice from the National Trauma Stress Network that includes detailed measures that parents can take to soften the impact on the children of the first anniversary of the 12/14 massacre.