Less than 12 hours after the Legislative Council acted to reduce the school district’s budget request by another $300,000, Acting Superintendent John Reed was recording a two-part video message to the community, helping to launch a get-out-the-vote effort he promised to support through a third round referendum June 4.
During the course of about 15 minutes worth of conversation, he deconstructed some of the elements of the district’s spending plan to try to help taxpayers better understand what they would be paying for if they choose to support the current $71,045,304 request representing a 3.93 percent increase.
After helping guide Newtown through its darkest days post 12/14, leading a team of officials supporting a rebuilding site for Sandy Hook School, and four of the most challenging budget processes in memory, First Selectman Pat Llodra and Selectman Will Rodgers have announced intentions to seek respective third terms this November.
Democratic Selectman James Gaston, Sr previously told The Bee that he would likely run for reelection if Mrs Llodra committed to a third term. He said this week he will await a Democratic Town Committee endorsement before formally announcing.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Connecticut’s US Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal along with Newtown’s Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty have introduced new federal legislation that would authorize federal funds to assist with the construction of a new Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The legislation, S 1025 in the Senate and HR 2102 in the House, is titled the Helping Communities Rebuild After Deadly School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events Act according to a release May 23. Every member of Connecticut’s congressional delegation has signed on to the bill as original co-sponsors.
Arrest Warrant After he learned that police held a warrant for his arrest, James Brown, 76, of Wolcott went to the police station about 11 am on May 16 and was charged with four offenses in connection with an incident that o...
The National Weather Service in Upton, N.Y., has issued a Flash Flood Warning for Fairfield County, in effect until 5:45 pm. At 3:44 pm NWS doppler radar indicated flash flooding from an area of thunderstorms over the warned area. E...
A bill crafted privately by Governor Dannel P. Malloy’s office, Connecticut’s top prosecutor, and legislative leaders would require the written consent of family members of the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims before certain records concerning the shooting may be publicly released. According to a working draft of the bill, released Wednesday by Malloy’s office, consent would be required before any record related to the December 14 shooting that consists of a photograph, videotape, digital recording or other image, or a recording depicting the physical condition of any victim, could be circulated to the public.
As parents who lost children turned to each other for support in the weeks following 12/14, school security emerged as a theme in emotionally wrought conversations around Newtown’s kitchen tables. Now, six Sandy Hook families have launched the Safe and Sound at Sandy Hook Initiative, a program to help communities improve their school security plans.
Connecticut’s US Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal along with Newtown’s Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty have introduced new federal legislation that would authorize federal funds to assist with the construction of a new Sandy Hook Elementary School. The legislation, S.1025 in the Senate and H.R. 2102 in the House, is titled the Helping Communities Rebuild After Deadly School Shootings and Other Traumatic Events Act according to a release May 23. Every member of Connecticut’s congressional delegation has signed on to the bill as original co-sponsors.
After about two hours of community input, deliberations and two failed amendments, the Legislative Council voted 9-3 to further reduce the school district’s budget request by $300,000. If approved at a planned third round referendum June 4, that would drop requested Board of Education increase to 3.93 percent
Voters already passed the municipal budget request in a split May 14 referendum. Upon approval, the district budget would stand at $71,045,304.
Prior to this week’s reduction, the district budget increase stood at 4.37 percent. If voters support the latest proposal, it would deliver a total budget increase of 3.58 percent, and a 2013-14 tax rate of 33.32 mills.