In the coming months, town public works crews will be going paperless — at least as far as their work orders and job tracking is concerned. At the same time, if all goes as planned, residents who discover issues like potholes, low hanging branches, or other town concerns will be able to click a button on the municipal website and instantly notify public works supervisors who can then dispatch the closest crew to respond.
These and other money- and time-saving efficiencies will be on tap as a result of an electronic work order system and hardware acquired by the town from a South Windsor-based vendor, according to Newtown’s Director of Technology Al Miles.
In light of the deteriorated condition of some repaved local roads, whose asphalt surfaces have been degrading much sooner than would normally be expected, the town public works director is expressing caution about spending large sums for extensive road repaving projects while road durability remains in question. Director Fred Hurley said November 12 that both locally and throughout the state, the durability of repaved asphalt roads has become an issue during the past several years, as those roads have physically deteriorated sooner than expected. Mr Hurley suggested a range of reasons why repaved roads do not last as long as they formerly did. The problem has affected municipal roads across the state, as well as state roads, he said.
Volunteers serving the Dodgingtown Fire Company are not only concerned about Newtown residents they are charged with protecting, as taxpayers themselves, they are always looking for ways to pinch pennies. As a result, the fire company, tucked into a mid-1950s-era building on Dodgingtown Road, has just completed the latest phase of energy improvements to help save taxpayer dollars. According to Dodgingtown’s Green Committee Chairman Kirk Blanchard, following the successful and economically advantageous changeover from an oil- to gas-fired boiler, Chief Steve Murphy charged the committee with upgrading electrical lighting fixtures and bulbs to achieve even more energy savings. The result was a successful partnership with Connecticut Light & Power (CL&P) and an approved application to the utility’s Small Business Energy Advantage Program.
School Superintendent Joseph Erardi, Jr said in a prepared statement issued at 2:22 pm Friday, November 14 that, “Earlier this afternoon, St. Rose School received a threatening call.”
“That school was placed on a “lock-in closed” status,” he said. The parochial school is located at 40 Church Hill Road.
During such situations, visitors are not allowed on school grounds and all people in the school remain inside the building.
“Newtown Middle School and the Hawley School have been placed on “lock-in open” status because of their proximity to St. Rose,” he added,
“No threat was received at the Middle or Hawley schools. School dismissal will occur at the regular time,” he said.
“All students and staff throughout the district are safe,” he said.
Police said at 3:15 pm on Friday, November 14, that security statuses put in place at three local schools have been lifted following their initial probe into a threat of harm made against St Rose School Friday afternoon.
Police Sergeant Aaron Bahamonde said at 3:15 pm that a “lock-in closed” security status at St Rose School at 40 Church Hill Road has been lifted, as well as “lock-in open” statuses at the nearby Hawley School and Newtown Middle School.
“All schools are back to normal,” he said.
After some discussion, the Public Building & Site Commission, during its special meeting on Wednesday, November 12, approved the Phase 4 documents for the Sandy Hook School construction project.
The approval paves the way for that portion of the project to go out to bid.
“The big news is that we were at the Office of School Facilities at the state this morning for a final review of the Phase 4 construction documents package,” said Diversified Project Management’s Geralyn Hoerauf. “We did receive approval at that meeting.”
Governor Dannel P. Malloy’s Sandy Hook Advisory Commission is next scheduled to meet on Friday, November 14, at 9:30 am. The commission announced on November 12 that it will be in the lower meeting room of C.H. Booth Library. On the agenda are presentations by three parents of children killed on 12/14.
Superintendent of Schools Joseph V. Erardi, Jr, held a response meeting for community members on Tuesday, November 11, following a threat made on social media against the high school a few hours earlier. Dr Erardi was joined by Newtown High School Principal Lorrie Rodrigue and Newtown Police Chief Michael Kehoe. The evening event offered explanations and answers to questions voiced by parents, who wanted to know why only the high school was affected by the lock-in, how to talk to their children about the situation, and how the situation would end. Parents also sought additional information about the threat, which remains under investigation.
Town police have enlisted the aid of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in their investigation into a threat made against Newtown High School on Tuesday, November 11. Although it was Veterans Day, town schools were in session and a holiday commemoration program was underway in the school auditorium when it was learned that the threat had been made. The threat was received on the high school’s Facebook page. The threat reportedly was made from out of state and made reference to a gun and to shooting. NHS School Resource Officer Liam Seabrook reported the threat to police headquarters at 12:59 pm. Seven town police were involved in the investigation at the school and adjacent areas. In a statement on the incident, Police Chief Michael Kehoe said, in part, that the lock-in was put in place to ensure the safety of students, staff, and visitors at the school.