Following the release of confidential 12/14 investigation material after a New Orleans law enforcement symposium session featuring a Connecticut State Police official, Governor Dannel Malloy announced that some preliminary information regarding the case will be released on or before March 29.
The notice, released just before 2 pm Thursday shortly after The Bee print edition went to press, points to the governor’s frustration over the leak that was first reported in the New York Daily News. The information was shared during a recent police symposium by an unidentified participant, presumably a current or former police official.
“Like many others, I was disappointed and angered to learn that certain information about the Newtown shooting had been leaked, specifically with concern for the victims’ families who may have been hearing this news for the first time,” Gov Malloy stated. “Today, my office contacted the Chief State’s Attorney. I requested, and they have agreed, to release additional information relevant to the investigation and to provide a status on where the investigation currently stands. This information will be provided by Friday, March 29.”
The governor said the scope and extent of the preliminary details will be “left to the State’s Attorney and other law enforcement.”
“As a former prosecutor, I’m sensitive to the need for an independent investigation and believe that we must allow their work to continue without any undue interference,” Gov Malloy said. “Having said all that, I will also say that I am bewildered by the demands of [Representative Lawrence] Cafero and others for a special briefing they claim is necessary in order for them to take a firm position on potential legislative responses to this horrific tragedy.”
The governor was referring to a previous call by the House Minority Leader who said lawmakers have asked several times without success for information from state police investigators that would help them as they craft a legislative response to the massacre that addresses gun violence, school security, and mental health.
Rep Cafero called it ‘‘really galling’’ to read an account in the press of comments Colonel Daniel Stebbins made to ‘‘strangers to our state’’ about evidence in the case. The column by Mike Lupica said Col Stebbins discussed evidence that suggested the Newtown gunman, Adam Lanza, studied other mass slayings and dedicated extensive planning to the massacre.
‘‘[Stebbins] has an immediate duty to explain himself, directly, especially to us, the legislature and its legislative leaders, who he must know by every news account are breaking their backs trying to come to a resolution on the very issues surrounding the incident which he has this information about,’’ Rep Cafero said.
After the column was published, state police spokesman Lieutenant J. Paul Vance issued a statement saying the seminar was designed for law enforcement professionals only and sensitive information dealing with the tactical approaches used by first responders to the Sandy Hook shootings was discussed.
(Associated Press content was included in this report.)