- Tuesday, June 18, 2013
WASHINGTON – Connecticut’s congressional delegation wants to find a way to obtain federal dollars to replace Sandy Hook Elementary School with a new facility, but that will be a tough task.
The biggest obstacle to finding federal money for the construction of a new school, estimated to cost $40 million to $60 million, is Congress’ ban on earmarks, or special projects. Earmarks once allowed lawmakers to steer millions of dollars to pet projects, but no more.
- Friday, June 14, 2013
This story was updated since its original posting to include input from First Selectman Pat Llodra.
HARTFORD — Governor Dannel P. Malloy has announced that an allocation of $750,000 towards the design of a new building for Sandy Hook Elementary School is slated for approval at next week’s meeting of the State Bond Commission.
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
According to Newtown officials close to the project, many of Connecticut’s larger communities have personnel in-house who can handle the necessary preparation for a major construction job like the one ramping up for the new Sandy Hook School.
- Thursday, June 13, 2013
“Sandy Hook” was written in for June 14 in the daily planners of countless news editors and producers: a six-month reminder. Time for reflection. Time to take stock. Time to raise the profile of Newtown again. But here in Newtown, people wonder what it would be like to have to be reminded of the tragic events of that December day — to have to pencil something in on a calendar as if the date could escape our memory for a day, or even for an hour.
- Tuesday, June 11, 2013
This story was updated since its original posting to include a Senate amendment being offered by Sen Chris Murphy.
WASHINGTON, DC – On June 11, Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty (CT-5) introduced an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014, HR 1960. The amendment would provide incentives to defense contractors to make donations to the rebuilding of a new Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- Wednesday, June 5, 2013
This story was updated since its first posting to reflect that Newtown has received confirmation of this state bonding initiative.
First Selectman Pat Llodra learned June 5 that state lawmakers were poised to deliver a $50 million bonding initiative to assist Newtown in its efforts to rebuild Sandy Hook School, which has been vacant since 12/14. And her office confirmed Thursday morning that the state had committed to that bonding initiative.
- Monday, June 3, 2013
WASHINGTON DC -– Having stumbled on gun control, President Barack Obama on Monday called for a national dialogue on mental illness – a campaign touched off by last year’s massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
Speaking at the beginning of a day-long White House conference on the issue, Obama said the time has come to bring mental illness “out of the shadows.”
“I want to make sure people aren’t suffering,” he said.
- Friday, May 24, 2013
NEW BRITAIN – Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty released the following statement regarding news that Sandy Hook Elementary will receive a School Emergency Response to Violence (SERV) grant of $1.3 million from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Thursday, May 23, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Connecticut’s US Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal along with Newtown’s Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty have introduced new federal legislation that would authorize federal funds to assist with the construction of a new Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Following an executive session, the Board of Education unanimously voted on Tuesday, May 21, to name a principal and assistant principal for Sandy Hook School.
Kathleen Gombos, the current principal at R.M.T. Johnson School in Bethel, was chosen as the new principal for Sandy Hook School, and Timothy Napolitano, who currently teaches at Reed Intermediate School, was appointed as assistant principal.