Home

C.H. Booth Library

  • The Top of the Mountain

    Instagram user @chanecullens has been keeping The Newtown Bee’s Instagram photos at newtownbee.com full of photos of birds in the last few weeks. She has uploaded three beautiful pictures of birds since the end of January, but this week is my favorite: a cat. According to the post, the cat was out prowling for mice in the snow. You can see for yourself that this brave feline was certainly claw deep.

  • The Top of the Mountain

    Under the tutelage of creative writing instructor Chris Belden, inmates of Garner Correctional Institute have published three editions of a literary magazine, Sentences. Issue number 4 is ready to be printed, with more original prose and poetry, Chris says, but funding is needed. “If just 30 people donate $10 each we will be able to print enough copies to distribute to the inmates,” he tells me, and anyone who donates $10 will receive a copy.

  • ‘Newtown Landmarks’ To Benefit C.H. Booth Library

    Copies of this photo, “Newtown Landmarks,” by resident and photography Linda Lubinsky, is being sold to benefit the CH Booth Library’s restoration fund. The matted color photo (8 by 10-inch photo, matted to 11 by 14 inches) is available at Everything Newtown for $35, cash or check. All proceeds will go to the library and its restoration efforts following flooding that occurred in January. The picture was taken on December 8, 2013 by Mrs Lubinsky.

  • Work Underway As Library Moves Toward Reopening

    Update: Due to inclement weather, Tuesday, January 21, the scheduled opening of the C.H. Booth Information Desk at Edmond Town Hall has been postponed. The Information Desk at Edmond Town Hall will open Wednesday, January 22, at 2 pm.

    As C.H. Booth Library department heads continue to inventory losses at the library from the January 4 flood released by broken sprinkler pipes, remediation is making good progress, said Acting Director Beryl Harrison, Monday, January 20.

  • The Top of the Mountain

    For those of you watching the premiere of this season’s American Idol on Wednesday, January 15, you might have recognized Sandy Hook resident Hayley Pettinato. She was shown briefly, but earned a “golden ticket” to continue on to Hollywood, where the show continues. Seventeen-year-old Hayley is one of three Connecticut residents chosen by the judges for this season. “Getting that golden ticket was honestly like nothing I’ve ever experienced before. It was so surreal.

  • Weathering The Winter

    The State of Connecticut has banned flying ice this winter — and every winter from now on. The new law took effect last week just in time for the year’s first big storm. It will levy fines — up to $1,250 for drivers of commercial trucks — for failure to clean snow and ice from their vehicles.

  • Tea And Catastrophe At The Library

    To The Editor:

  • Remediation Slow But Steady At C.H. Booth Library

    On Monday morning, department heads at the C.H. Booth Library got to work sorting through materials on the first and second floor of the 1998 addition, where water damage from burst pipes Saturday afternoon, January 4, was evident in sodden carpeting throughout the affected areas, trash bags filled with water-logged paper supplies and ruined equipment, ceiling tiles on the floors, and the pervasive smell of dampened plaster.

  • Damage Assessment Continues At C.H. Booth Library

    Workers from J.P. MaGuire Associates returned to the C.H. Booth Library on Main Street in Newtown, early Sunday morning, January 5, to continue damage control from flooding that occurred at the library Saturday afternoon, when pipes located above the second floor office of the director froze and burst. 

  • Flooding Damages C.H. Booth Library

    C.H. Booth Library Acting Director Beryl Harrison reported Saturday afternoon, January 4, that sprinkler pipes above the second floor of the library apparently froze and broke, at approximately 3 pm, causing the ceiling to collapse in the director's office and tech services area of the second floor, as well as in the first floor children's department. 

    "No one was hurt," said Ms Harrison, though some staff members in the immediate area "got a little wet."