- Wednesday, August 7, 2013
This report was updated August 8 adding comments from Fund Chairman Dr Charles Herrick.
Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen issued a notice to the United Way of Western Connecticut and the Newtown-Sandy Hook Foundation August 7 indicating the agency and foundation honored donor intent in its decision to distribute $7.7 million of the more than $11 million collected in the wake of 12/14 to immediate victims and their survivors, in the amounts that were designated by the foundation.
- Thursday, August 1, 2013
Under pressure to produce a transparent review of its decision-making and distribution processes, the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation's leader said Wednesday that there is no money built-in to the fund for extraneous functions like an audit.
- Monday, July 15, 2013
Governor Dannel P. Malloy, in a letter to the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation, Inc, has expressed his frustration with the foundation’s pace and manner of decisionmaking in terms of distributing funds, which the group has collected to benefit those people affected by the 12/14 Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.
- Friday, July 12, 2013
Under a draft proposal presented at a public forum on Thursday, July 11, the families of each of the 26 victims of the 12/14 Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings would receive $281,000 in donated funds.
Also, under those preliminary recommendations, the families of the 12 surviving children who were in the classrooms where the shootings occurred would receive $20,000 each. Also, two teachers who were injured in the incident would divide $150,000.
- Friday, July 5, 2013
A public forum will be held to receive input on the disbursement of the first release of funds from the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation of $7.7 million.
These funds are to be distributed to the families most impacted by the tragic school shooting on 12/14, identified first and foremost as those who lost a loved one, and additionally two wounded teachers and 12 children who escaped from the two classrooms the shooter targeted.
- Tuesday, July 2, 2013
HARTFORD – More than six months after losing their loved ones in the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, families say dealing with questions over how to distribute the millions of dollars sent to help Newtown heal is instead causing them more pain.
- Monday, May 6, 2013
The board of directors of the Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation announced Monday that it has asked the Foundation’s Distribution Committee to postpone the public hearings that were scheduled to take place in Newtown on May 7 and 8.
Distribution Panel Named— Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation To Release $7.7 Million To Victims, SurvivorsThursday, April 25, 2013
The Newtown-Sandy Hook Community Foundation announced April 25 a number of developments pertaining to its work to support the community of Newtown in the wake of the Sandy Hook School tragedy.
- Friday, April 19, 2013
HARTFORD — Forty-three charities that collected funds after the Newtown school shooting have informed Connecticut officials they have so far raised nearly $20.4 million and distributed close to $2.9 million of that money.
- Wednesday, April 10, 2013
To the Editor:
Governor Malloy recently criticized Newtown’s handling of the Sandy Hook School Support Fund. He said Newtown’s actions were “much too slow.”
Seriously? Who makes the timetable for this sort of thing? From his perch in Hartford, does the governor have any respect for the collective wisdom and experience of those overseeing the disbursement of the fund?