- Friday, February 20, 2015
An unusual two-vehicle head-on accident on Interstate 84 late on the afternoon of Wednesday, February 18, resulted in several people being injured, with one man requiring extrication from an SUV involved in the crash, officials said.
The collision occurred on I-84, west of the Exit 9 interchange, in the general area where the boundaries of Newtown, Brookfield, and Bethel meet.
The incident resulted in extensive travel delays on both sides of the highway during the evening rush.
- Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Two local volunteer fire companies have received approvals for their federal grant applications to acquire firefighting equipment.
Botsford Fire Rescue, at 315 South Main Street (Route 25) has received approval for $99,988 to buy portable fire radios, and Hawleyville Volunteer Fire Company #1, 34 Hawleyville Road (Route 25), has received approval for $37,487 to buy breathing apparatus for firefighters, according to a statement from US Representative Elizabeth Esty (D-5th District).
- Tuesday, August 19, 2014
Hawleyville Volunteer Fire Company and Big Buddha Cigar Lounge will co-host a Community Craft & Tag Sale on Sunday, September 14, from 9 am to 4 pm. The event will be presented at each host’s location: 34 Hawleyville Road and 27 Hawleyville Road, respectively.
Hawleyville Fire members will be grilling food, and also offering drinks for purchase.
Children’s entertainment will include fire truck demonstrations and face painting.
- Friday, July 25, 2014
About 2:33 am on Sunday, July 20, police received a call reporting that a vehicle had driven off the road and gone down an embankment alongside Hawleyville Road (Route 25), near the Brookfield town line.
Police responded to the area to investigate and found that motorist Robert Pallo, 62, of Brookfield, who was driving a 1991 Chevrolet Corvette coupe, was trapped inside the sports car amid trees and brush on an embankment on residential property at 63 Hawleyville Road. There were no passengers.
- Monday, June 23, 2014
An accidental fire caused by spontaneous combustion damaged a stall in an elaborate vacant stable under construction at a horse farm known as RCG Farm At Taunton Hill located at 38 Taunton Hill Road early on the morning of June 17.
There were no injuries. Damage is estimated at approximately $15,000.