Home

News

  • Duck Race Change Of Plans: No Race, Raffle Drawing At 2:30

     Less than 24 hours after telling The Newtown Bee that the 13th Annual Great Pootatuck Duck Race would go on, rain or shine, event chair Bob Schmidt has announced that the weather has changed the day's plans after all. There are no exhibits or vendors at the park at 5 Glen Road in Sandy Hook...

  • Rain And More Rain Changes Duck Race Plans

    Days of rain and a swollen, rushing river on May 25 changed traditional plans for the 13th Annual Great Pootatuck Duck Race. Rather than floating plastic ducks along the Pootatuck River and fishing the winners from a collection point downstream, event chai...

  • Esty Applauds $1.3m SERV Grant For Sandy Hook Elementary

    NEW BRITAIN – Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty released the following statement regarding news that Sandy Hook Elementary will receive a School Emergency Response to Violence (SERV) grant of $1.3 million from the U.S. Department of Education. “I thank Secretary Duncan and President Obama for hearing our continued calls to respond to the needs of Newtown, and being there time and time again for this community,” Ms Esty said in a release. “What happened in Newtown on December 14 was an unimaginable tragedy that has touched people on a national scale.”

  • Superintendent Reed Begins Budget Advocacy Campaign With Video Message

    Less than 12 hours after the Legislative Council acted to reduce the school district’s budget request by another $300,000, Acting Superintendent John Reed was recording a two-part video message to the community, helping to launch a get-out-the-vote effort he promised to support through a third round referendum June 4. During the course of about 15 minutes worth of conversation, he deconstructed some of the elements of the district’s spending plan to try to help taxpayers better understand what they would be paying for if they choose to support the current $71,045,304 request representing a 3.93 percent increase.

  • Llodra, Rodgers Planning To Run For Reelection, Gaston Likely

    After helping guide Newtown through its darkest days post 12/14, leading a team of officials supporting a rebuilding site for Sandy Hook School, and four of the most challenging budget processes in memory, First Selectman Pat Llodra and Selectman Will Rodgers have announced intentions to seek respective third terms this November. Democratic Selectman James Gaston, Sr previously told The Bee that he would likely run for reelection if Mrs Llodra committed to a third term. He said this week he will await a Democratic Town Committee endorsement before formally announcing.

  • Local Town Clerk, Staff Still Hoping For Privacy Legislation

    May 22 marked exactly one month from the day that any action occurred on proposed legislation inspired by Town Clerk Debbie Aurelia, her staff, and other members of the state Town Clerk’s Association who want to see certain restrictions on state death records. And the local officials behind the proposal were not happy about it.While the origins of HB 5733 stem from Ms Aurelia’s refusal to release to various members of the press and public detailed death records on the victims of the 12/14 shootings, members of her staff also see the legislation as a contemporary solution to protecting deceased residents and their immediate survivors from invasions of their privacy and identity theft. That bill was co-sponsored by State Representatives Mitch Bolinsky and DebraLee Hovey and Senator John McKinney...

  • Fire Reports May 16 - 22, 2013

    The dispatchers at the Newtown Emergency Communications Center at Town Hall South report the following fire calls and the responders:   Thursday, May 16: 8 pm, motor vehicle accident, near 189 ...

  • Flash Flood Warning Issued

    The National Weather Service in Upton, N.Y., has issued a Flash Flood Warning for Fairfield County, in effect until 5:45 pm. At 3:44 pm NWS doppler radar indicated flash flooding from an area of thunderstorms over the warned area. E...

  • Bill Would Give Families Say Over Newtown Records

    A bill crafted privately by Governor Dannel P. Malloy’s office, Connecticut’s top prosecutor, and legislative leaders would require the written consent of family members of the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims before certain records concerning the shooting may be publicly released. According to a working draft of the bill, released Wednesday by Malloy’s office, consent would be required before any record related to the December 14 shooting that consists of a photograph, videotape, digital recording or other image, or a recording depicting the physical condition of any victim, could be circulated to the public.

  • Safe And Sound In Sandy Hook: Parents Seek More Focus On School Security

    As parents who lost children turned to each other for support in the weeks following 12/14, school security emerged as a theme in emotionally wrought conversations around Newtown’s kitchen tables. Now, six Sandy Hook families have launched the Safe and Sound at Sandy Hook Initiative, a program to help communities improve their school security plans.