HARTFORD (AP) — The state’s Freedom of Information Commission on Wednesday ordered the release of the 911 tapes from last year’s shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, ruling in favor of an appeal by The Associated Press for access to records withheld by investigators. The recordings will not be made available immediately. The prosecutor leading the investigation of the massacre, Danbury State’s Attorney Stephen Sedensky III, said the commission’s decision will be appealed in Connecticut’s courts.
First Selectman Pat Llodra and Interim School Superintendent John Reed sat for a video interview September 24 to respond to questions and to help residents understand the implications of the upcoming October 5 referendum. On that Saturday, between 6 am and 8 pm, voters will be as asked to accept or reject a gift of up to $50 million to remediate and demolish the existing Sandy Hook building, and to build a new, state-of-the-art school facility, roughly on the same site. The officials sat down with The Bee shortly after the first of several public information sessions and extended office hours for residents who want to come in and discuss concerns or ask questions about the impending project.
While cleaning out a decayed efficiency apartment in a barn at a Poverty Hollow Road property in Newtown in April 2010, Jordan Wright of Redding made a grisly discovery: the skeletal remains of a woman who had formerly lived at that property and who had been reported missing to police by her husband 26 years earlier. Mr Wright, who owns the 89 Poverty Hollow Road property with his parents, told an eight-man, four-woman jury in Danbury Superior Court that to be certain his suspicions were correct, he contacted his father, Kenneth, who is a physician, who then confirmed that a large bone that had been uncovered was a human femur or thighbone. Jordan Wright was one of five witnesses who spoke on Thursday, September 27, during the first day of testimony at the murder trial of John Heath, 70, of Bridgewater.
WASHINGTON, DC – US Attorney General Eric Holder said Friday, September 27, that the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) will provide $150,000 in 2013 fiscal year funding to Newtown to pay for two police positions to ensure school safety, such as school resource officers. “This grant funding will help to offer critical support for law enforcement and essential services to the community as Newtown comes back from a heartbreaking tragedy,” Mr Holder said in a statement.“Just over nine months after the senseless mass shooting at Sandy Hook, we remain committed to providing every resource we can to ensure that the children of Newtown can feel safe and secure at school and elsewhere...
Is your home suitable for solar power? Residents had a chance Tuesday evening to learn more about the Solarize Connecticut, Solarize Newtown launch, “a unique discount buying program that uses a tiered-pricing structure, town-supported education and ...
The FunSpace playground at Dickinson Park will close on October 7. Parks and Recreation Department crews will begin its demolition in preparation for construction of new play features there.
Recreatoin Director Amy Mangold met recently with Al Corsetti, vice president of Pat Corsetti Inc, the contractor recently awarded the bid for construction of the Elm Drive park. The $774,162 project is a combination of bonding, donation, and surcharge funding. “Construction should begin soon after,” Ms Mangold said. The new play space will be ADA accessible and accommodate wheelchairs.
Newtown’s Public Building and Site Commission (PBSC) introduced the design and engineering teams that will oversee the pending remediation and demolition of the existing Sandy Hook School, as well as coordinating the new school building project as it rolls out in the coming months. The panel also heard brief reports from project managers Aaron Krueger of Consigli Construction and Julia McFadden of Svigals + Partners.
During a brief special meeting September 25, the Legislative Council authorized the First Selectman's Office to produce explanatory materials for voters ahead of the scheduled, October 5 referendum. The rare Saturday vote will ask residents to endorse or reject the state's gift of up to $50 million to remediate and demolish the former Sandy Hook School building, and to construct a new school for the community. Polls will be open at the Middle School from 6 am to 8 pm that day, and absentee ballots for that referendum are available now.
Creating a library director search committee with a clear process, building trust between the board, the community, and the staff, moving the library forward effectively, and increasing the sense of a team working together were the key topics of the special meeting of the C.H. Booth Library Board of Trustees, Tuesday, September 24.
“We all have to do it together, and with transparency,” said board Vice President John Trentacosta.
The developer of a proposed major residential subdivision, which has been the subject of a court battle for the past four years, has submitted for town review a modified version of the project that would “cluster” single-family houses on the Sandy Hook site to maximize the amount of public open space land that would be preserved. The project, known as Sherman Woods, is the largest residential subdivision proposed for town since 2000. The site is in the Pootatuck River watershed. Developer William H. Joyce has submitted revised plans for the 42-lot Sherman Woods on 158 acres to the Inland Wetlands Commission for review.