Governor Dannel P. Malloy has announced that first responders and other state employees who were significantly involved with the direct response to the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year will be credited with forty hours of compensatory time under an agreement reached between the state and six unions representing the state employees. The benefit is intended to recognize the extraordinary nature of the tragedy and that many of these individuals took sick and vacation time to deal with personal matters related to the incident, according to Gov Malloy. The agreement will be submitted to the General Assembly for final approval. If no action is taken, the agreement will take effect after 30 days.
Recordings of the Emergency 911 telephone calls received by Newtown police from people at Sandy Hook School on the morning of December 14, 2012, reflect tension and fear in the callers’ voices as they urged police to rapidly respond to 12 Dickinson Drive to help them during Adam Lanza’s attack on the school.
The town released the 911 recordings on Wednesday after blocking their disclosure for nearly one year due to privacy concerns.
The Newtown Foundation announced Monday, December 2, that four-time Grammy Award winner Carole King will perform at the December 12 vigil in Washington, DC, to honor the more than 30,000 people who die of gun violence every year in the United States.
The National Vigil for All Victims of Gun Violence takes place Thursday, December 12, from 3:45 to 5 pm, in the Washington National Cathedral in Washington, DC.
Connecticut State Police say most motor vehicle violations over the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend were down from last year. State Police said on Monday that troopers arrested 1,134 motorists for alleged speeding, 43 who were accused of driving under the influence and investigated 562 accidents, which included one fatality. Last year, State Police made 1,611 arrests for speeding and 62 for driving under the influence. Two deaths were reported among 412 accidents.
NEW HAVEN – A federal judge Monday dismissed the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s (NSSF) lawsuit against Governor Dannel Malloy, and other state officials, which challenged the legality of a state gun control law approved last April stemming from the Sandy Hook School shooting incident of December 14, 2012.
At one point during a press conference hosted by several town officials and community leaders Tuesday afternoon at Newtown Municipal Center, First Selectman Pat Llodra was asked about how she would like people outside of Newtown to pay tribute to those lost, as well as to residents and others who have endured the daily reminders leading up to the first year anniversary of 12/14. "The best way to honor what happened to the youngsters and loved ones who lost their lives here on December 14, is to take care of someone in your own community," Mrs Llodra replied. People outside the community have extended kindness to Newtown every single day since 12/14, she said, "and we really try and convince people that there are families and organizations in their own community that should be the recipients of their kindness."
Long before the first environmental contractors started reporting higher than expected levels of lead, asbestos and PCBs in construction debris at Sandy Hook School, a panel of town officials and residents in a subsequent referendum had already endorsed razing and replacing the aging elementary school building. According to Public Building & Site Commission Chairman Robert Mitchell, the town and its residents made the right choice. Mr Mitchell said in a facility update he planed to deliver to his commissioners December 3, that had the town decided to reoccupy the school on Dickinson Drive, it would have faced a daunting and possibly insurmountable challenge regarding the presence of hazardous materials. The expense for identifying, removing and processing the heightened amount of materials found during demolition required nearly double what was originally budgeted for that aspect of the project.
First Selectman Pat Llodra has issued a brief announcement concerning the impending release of 911 calls related to the Sandy Hook School shootings on December 14, 2012. The recordings will be available after 2 pm Wednesday, December 4. They will only include dispatches from Newtown Police Department.
Newtown Youth & Family Services (NYFS) is joining together with the town of Newtown, the school district, the interfaith community and municipal organizations in observance of the first anniversary of 12/14. NYFS will be operating on extended hours from December 13-15, and will also be open for walk-in support services for individuals and families in the community who have been impacted by the Sandy Hook tragedy.
Beginning with the next application period, local seniors applying for town tax relief will likely be asked to sign an asset affidavit. The decision was made following a brief question-and-answer session with Tax Collector Carol Mahoney and Finance Director Robert Tait during the the November 25 Board of Finance meeting. The issue of gaining more clarity regarding applicants’ assets first came up during public discussion last February when finance board Vice Chairman Joseph Kearney asked the town to consider requesting applicants to sign an affidavit promising they are not holding assets that would otherwise be hidden from officials verifying income from candidates’ tax returns. During this week’s meeting, Mr Kearney said the generous town senior tax relief program is not an entitlement, and that if even a few applicants were disqualified based on the amount of assets they possess, it would free up additional funds for more people who legitimately need the benefit.