Two Killed In Berkshire Road Crash

Published: June 23, 2019 at 10:21 am


UPDATE (Sunday, June 23, 2019; 11:34 am): Berkshire Road has reopened following this morning's crash. 

UPDATE (Monday, June 24, 2019): This story has been updated to include the names of those killed, and comments from First Selectman Daniel Rosenthal. 

UPDATE (Wednesday, June 26, 2019): This story has been updated to reflect the correct age of both victims of Sunday morning's crash. 

* * * * *


Two Sandy Hook families lost loved ones early Sunday morning following a motor vehicle accident on Berkshire Road.

According to Newtown Police, on June 23 at approximately 2 am, Elliot Gregory and Philip Zuvanich were killed following a crash of the Jeep Cherokee they were traveling in. Both men were 20 years old. 

Multiple officers along with members of Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire & Rescue and Botsford Fire Rescue were dispatched to Berkshire Road (State Route 34) in the area of Jordan Hill Road to investigate the report of a motor vehicle accident. At least one paramedic also responded to the crash. 

Upon arrival police found that the older model Jeep Cherokee had gone off the westbound shoulder of Berkshire Road into a hundred foot, heavily wooded ravine.

The vehicle had been occupied by two people, the driver and passenger, police said. 

Stevenson Volunteer Fire Department in Monroe was also dispatched, and provided additional manpower. 

Sandy Hook Second Assistant Chief Andrew Ryan was the fire officer in command.

Emergency medical personnel pronounced both dead at the scene as a result of the single car accident.

The State of Connecticut Medical Examiner’s Office was called to the scene to investigate the cause of death.

The Newtown Police Accident Reconstruction team also responded to the scene, and took over the investigation. Police have spoken to witnesses of the accident.

The Department of Energy & Environmental Protection was also notified of the accident due to fluids from the vehicles that had leaked into a stream that feeds Halfway River. 

Firefighters cleared from the scene shortly after 6 am. Berkshire Road remained closed for a few hours while police investigators continued their work. 

"Our hearts are heavy this morning and our prayers are with both families as they go through this most difficult time. Our community mourns with them," said Newtown Police Lt Aaron Bahamonde.

First Selectman Daniel Rosenthal on Sunday also offered his condolences.

"I am so deeply sorry for the families and friends of the two young men that tragically lost their lives on Route 34 early this morning," Mr Rosenthal said. "The prayers of our community are with them as they cope with something so unimaginable.

"I am also ever mindful and grateful for the efforts of our first responders from the Newtown Police Department, Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire and Rescue, Botsford Fire Rescue, Stevenson Volunteer Fire Department and our emergency dispatch team," the first selectman added. "These professionals worked through the night in extraordinarily difficult circumstances and my thoughts are also with them."

This story will be updated as additional details are released. 

Change Text Size:


This Week's Poll

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?