Log In

Reset Password

Fire Extensively Damages Thunder Ridge Road House



Text Size

Firefighters from eight volunteer fire companies responded about 1:07 pm on Thursday to a report of house fire in Sandy Hook which extensively damaged the wood-frame structure amid frigid conditions.

There were no injuries in the blaze, which initially was reported as a fire in a bathroom and was soon upgraded to a working structure fire at 6 Thunder Ridge Road. The cause of the fire was not immediately clear.

Thunder Ridge Road is a dead-end street which extends southward from Berkshire Road (Route 34), just west of Great Ring Road.

Firefighters from Sandy Hook, Botsford, Hook & Ladder, Dodgingtown, Hawleyville, Southbury, Stevenson, and Monroe responded to the incident. More than two dozen firefighters responded to the scene.

Sandy Hook Fire Chief Bill Halstead was incident commander. Chief Halstead was not immediately available for comment. 

The Newtown Volunteer Ambulance Corps went to the blaze.

The town’s assessment records list Michael Holroyd and Carla Seymer as the owners of 6 Thunder Ridge Road. The two-story, four-bedroom house on 2.4 acres was built in 1984.

After they arrived, firefighters used ladders to climb to the roof of the house where they cut a hole to ventilate the burning structure. They also used a high-pressure hose line to fight the blaze from an elevated rear deck.

Temperatures of about 20 degrees coupled with frozen snow-covered, sloped terrain made for difficult conditions as firefighters clambered across the terrain.

The fire generated large amounts of dense white smoke, which billowed out of the tan structure.

Sandy Hook firefighters were at the scene for about three hours, working to ensure that smoldering hot spots were extinguished.

Fire officials monitored as firefighters made an initial attack against the blaze. 
Firefighters used an elevated rear deck in attacking the fire.
A firefighter straddles two ladders at a house at 6 Thunder Ridge Road in Sandy Hook on Thursday afternoon at a house fire.
Comments are open. Be civil.

Leave a Reply