Log In

Reset Password

Former Resident Facing Ten Charges Including Murder, Kidnapping; More Expected Within Days



Text Size

TOLLAND — Connecticut State Police say a former Newtown resident suspected of two homicides in May has been transported by law officials from Maryland, where he had been in custody for 15 days, to Connecticut and will face at least ten serious charges. Additional charges are expected, State Police said June 12.

Former Sandy Hook resident and UConn student Peter Manfredonia, 23, is accused of murdering two individuals, including Newtown High School classmate Nick Eisele, 23.

He was apprehended in Maryland on May 27. He remained in custody in Maryland until Thursday evening. Manfredonia waived his rights to extradition.

Friday morning, June 12, the suspect was being processed according to State Police policy and procedure, according to CSP Trooper Josue Dorelus. Dorelus, a CSP public information officer, then announced that Manfredonia has been charged with the following:


*Criminal Attempt to Commit Murder;

*Assault in the First Degree;

*Home Invasion;

*Kidnapping with A Firearm-First Degree;

*Robbery-First Degree;

Larceny-First Degree;

*Stealing A Firearm (two counts), and

*Assault On An Elderly Party-Third Degree.

Those charges stem from the crimes Manfredonia is alleged to have committed in Willington, according to Trooper Dorelus. Manfredonia is accused of a deadly assault in Willington that occurred on Friday, May 22, taking the life of Ted DeMers, 62.

He also severely injured an elderly neighbor of DeMers before disappearing for nearly 36 hours.

Police believe Manfredonia spent much of the weekend of May 22-24 in Willington, where he held a man in his home against his will, before stealing several weapons and the man’s vehicle.

He resurfaced the morning of Sunday, May 24, in the apartment of Nick Eisele and Eisele’s girlfriend. Manfredonia killed Eisele and kidnapped the woman. Police believe Manfredonia forced the woman into her vehicle and fled the state with her. The woman was later released unharmed.

He was eventually arrested outside a truck stop near the Washington County Sheriff’s Office in Hagerstown, Md. Manfredonia was transported from Maryland to Connecticut “during the overnight hours of June 11 into the morning hours of June 12,” Dorelus said. The prisoner’s bond was set at $5 million.

He was to be transported to Rockville Superior Court later in the morning, to be arraigned in the above charges. His custody will then be transferred to the Connecticut Department of Corrections (CT DOC) during the pendency of his care.

Before announcing the charges, Dorelus expressed “our deepest sympathies to those that have been impacted by the crimes that have been committed. “Our hope is that the development that will be provided today will help to bring the families and communities that were directly impacted some form of closure,” he added.

The investigation into the crimes “remains active and ongoing,” Dorelus said Friday morning. Additional charges will be lodged against Manfredonia in coming days for the crimes committed in Derby, Dorelus added.

The new charges will be filed by Connecticut State Police, Central District Major Crime Squad, according to a release issued following this morning’s press conference.

The public information officer noted and offered thanks to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies “that assisted us throughout this investigation, as well as the many citizens that have come forward with information pertaining to the crimes that were committed” in multiple locations.

The FBI, CT DOC, New York State Police, New Jersey State Police, Pennsylvania State Police, Maryland State Police, and US Marshal Service all assisted with the case, also according to the post-press conference release.

Associated Press content was used in this story.

Connecticut State Police Trooper Josue Dorelus made brief statements Friday morning, announcing the first set of crimes a former Newtown resident is being charged with following a six-day spree in late May.
Peter Manfredonia was extradited to Connecticut during the early morning hours of Friday, June 12. —Connecticut State Police booking photo
Comments are open. Be civil.

Leave a Reply