Log In

Reset Password
Front Page

Two Vehicles Destroyed in Early Morning Fire



Text Size

 This story has been updated July 6 from the original July 5 post, to include new information.

Fire officials and police are investigating the cause of a suspicious fire that destroyed two motor vehicles in Sandy Hook Center early on the morning of Sunday, July 3.

There were no injuries in the intense 3:41 am blaze that occurred along the dead-end Eagle Rock Road, a dirt road that extends from Dayton Street, said Fire Marshal Bill Halstead, who also is the Sandy Hook fire chief. A damage value estimate was not available.

Mr Halstead said July 6 the fire apparently was intentionally set by someone.

Earlier, it had appeared that the blaze might have been inadvertently caused by fireworks, which had been discharged at a gathering in the area earlier that night, but fireworks have now been ruled out as a possible cause of the fire, Mr Halstead said.

Police will be conducting interviews in seeking to learn more about how the fire started, Mr Halstead said.

The Sandy Hook Volunteer Fire & Rescue Company and police responded to the fire.

Besides destroying the two vehicles, the fire damaged a lawn mower and a trailer on which that mower was positioned, Mr Halstead said. Some nearby brush also caught fire.

When the blaze occurred, conditions in the area were dry, with little rain having fallen during the past several weeks.

The fire destroyed a 2015 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and a 2009 Hyundai Accent subcompact car, which are owned by people living nearby, Mr Halstead said. The vehicles were parked next to each other, end to end.

Firefighters used about 1,700 gallons of water to extinguish the blaze. No houses in the area were damaged by the fire. About 20 Sandy Hook firefighters responded to the fire call, Mr Halstead said.

A 2015 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and a 2009 Hyundai Accent subcompact car were destroyed by fire early on the morning of Sunday, July 3, on Eagle Rock Road, off Dayton Street, in Sandy Hook Center. There were no injuries in the blaze. The cause of the suspicious fire is under investigation by police and fire officials. -Newtown Fire Marshal Of-ice photo
Comments are open. Be civil.

Leave a Reply