Log In


Reset Password
Archive

Vehicle Emissions Program Restarts With Few Glitches

Print

Tweet

Text Size


Vehicle Emissions Program Restarts With Few Glitches

Seven months after questions and concerns about accuracy and honesty shut down the state’s motor vehicle emissions testing program, hundreds of cars lined up to be tested as the program resumed November 12.

The testing program resumed with about 260 service stations around the state.

At midday November 12, the number of cars that had been tested statewide was 1,340, double the number that had gone through the lines when the current emissions program was first launched in October 2003, according to Bill Seymour, spokesman for the state Department of Motor Vehicles.

“Clearly, people are showing some confidence in the program,” Seymour said.

State officials suspended the program, run by Agbar Technologies, in April after question were raised about the accuracy of test results, improper testing by some inspectors, and the possibility that hundreds of drivers may have paid for unnecessary repairs.

DMV earlier reached an agreement with Chicago-based Agbar to resume the testing program. The resumption of the program will allow the state to remain eligible to receive $400 million in federal highway funds, state officials said.

DMV officials said an independent analysis of the tests showed that substantially new computer software now being used by Agbar addressed the earlier accuracy problems.

At Amaral Motors, the only testing facility in Newtown, everything was running smoothly until Wednesday morning when there were problems with the electrical system in the building and testing was suspended.

“We don’t know what is causing the problem,” said Cathy Amaral-Freitas, general manager. “We’re trying to find out. It might have something to do with the emissions equipment, or it might not.”

Ms Amaral-Freitas emphasized that when vehicle owners get their testing notification in the mail, they should not delay in scheduling an appointment.

“Don’t put it aside and wait until the deadline,” she said. “We try to accommodate walk-ins but if there are people waiting who have appointments, we may not be able to help. The people who don’t have appointments might have to find another station to get the test done.”

   Scheduling also is important because older models take longer to test, she explained, and drivers don’t want to make an appointment only to find out that they have a long wait. 

The state has sent out 70,000 testing notices to Connecticut residents so far, with plans to send 40,000 notices per week until they are caught up next year, Bill Seymour said. About 950,000 vehicles are tested annually.

The settlement extends the six-year contract between the state and Agbar for an additional six months, until May 9, 2010.

The testing fee will remain at $20.

Reports from the Associated Press were included in this article.

Comments
Comments are open. Be civil.
0 comments

Leave a Reply