Log In

Reset Password

Nighthawk Girls Finish Off Win, Prepare For Rematch With Rebels



Text Size

Newtown High School's girls' basketball team completed its two-day, two-court, power outage-delayed win over New Milford in the South-West Conference tournament quarterfinals with a 57-25 victory on Saturday, February 22.

This game began at Newtown High the night before but was halted at the half when most of the gymnasium lights went out (click here for the story).

Due to the high school being reserved for a band event the continuation of the game was relocated to NYA Sports & Fitness with NHS holding a commanding 37-12 halftime lead.

"I've had to leave a game because of a leak in the roof but I've never had to leave a game because of a power outage," said Nighthawk Coach Jeremy O'Connell, referring to his coaching days at Bunnell High in Stratford.

The second-seeded Nighthawks had only beaten New Milford by a handful of points, 48-43 on the road on February 7, but were dominant from the start in the rematch with the seventh-seeded Green Wave.

"Last night, when we started, we came out on fire. We played our style basketball. We were aggressive, defensively we really stepped up and did what we needed to do," said O'Connell, adding that his team is tough to defend against due to its balanced scoring.

All told, ten Nighthawks registered points. Carlie Smith led the way with 13 points, all scored in the first portion of the game on night number one. Shea Murphy finished with ten, Amy Sapenter had seven — including the first point, with a free throw, when the game resumed at NYA — Juliette Cryder had six, Cyleigh Wilson five, Rebecca Alicea and Allie Bradley four apiece, Cloe O'Connell and Julia Gerace both had three, and Emma Magazu scored two.

Smith had a trio of 3-pointers and Murphy had two, including the first field goal when the game picked up on day two.

Newtown's defense limited the Green Wave to just two points in the third quarter and cruised into the semifinals where the Hawks will host No. 6 New Fairfield, Monday, February 24, at 7 pm. The Rebels upset No. 3 Pomperaug of Southbury 44-17 in the quarters.

The Nighthawks battled past the Rebels 39-35 in the regular-season finale, on the road, February 18. The winner will take on either No. 1 Notre Dame-Fairfield or No. 5 Kolbe Cathedral of Bridgeport in the Wednesday, February 26, championship game at 7 pm (location to be determined).

Emma Magazu makes a pass during the second half of the SWC quarterfinals, at NYA Sports & Fitness. The game., which started at NHS, was halted at the half due to a power outage the night before. Newtown won 57-25. —Bee Photos, Hutchison
Allie Bradley makes a pass.
Chloe O'Connell dribbles up the court.
Comments are open. Be civil.

Leave a Reply