Log In

Reset Password

Don't Let A Candle Fire Ruin Your Holiday



Text Size

Don’t Let A Candle Fire Ruin Your Holiday

Candle fires in one- and two-family dwellings, manufactured housing, and apartments have been on an uphill track recently reaching a 20-year high. If the past is any indication there will be twice as many home candle fires in December as in an average month. The winter holiday season is in the peak time for candle sales, which have increased dramatically during the past decade according to the National Candle Association.

The Newtown Fire Marshall’s office offers the following safety tips:

*Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.

*Keep candles away from items that can catch fire, such as clothing, books, papers, curtains, Christmas trees, and flammable decorations.

 *Use sturdy candle holders that will not tip over easily, are made of material that cannot burn and are large enough to collect dripping wax.

*Do not place lit candles in windows where blinds and curtains can close over them.

*Place candleholders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface and do not use candles in places where children or pets can knock them over.

Candles and children pose additional risks. For safety:

*Keep candles up high, out of reach of children.

*Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle.

*A child should not sleep in a room with a lit candle.

*Do not allow children or teens to have candles in their bedrooms

In general, store candles, matches, and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach,preferably in a locked cabinet.

During power outages use flashlights whenever possible. Try to avoid carrying a lit candle and do not use a lit candle when searching for items in a confined space.

“We hope that these safety tips will help you and your family and your holiday season is a safe one,” said Fire Marshal Bill Halstead.

Comments are open. Be civil.

Leave a Reply