One-Room Schoolhouse Welcomes History Enthusiasts
The Newtown Historical Society invited the public to the annual open house of the Little Red Schoolhouse, located in front of Middle Gate Elementary School, on Sunday, October 13.
The red building dates back to 1850 and is owned/maintained by the Newtown Historical Society.
Melissa Houston and Mike Assalta, docents with the Newtown Historical Society, educated visitors about what life was like attending the one-room schoolhouse in its era.
Those attending the open house could partake in a variety of time-period appropriate activities, which included utilizing the chalk boards for math, perusing the “primers” books, and playing 19th Century lawn games.
To learn more about the Little Red Schoolhouse, visit newtownhistory.org.