Log In

Reset Password
Front Page

Police Probe Pipe Bombs Discovered In Botsford



Text Size

By Andrew Gorosko

Police said Monday, March 27, they are continuing their investigation into the discovery of two metallic pipe bombs found near each other at the Newtown Village mobile home park at 301 South Main Street (Route 25) in Botsford on the night of March 24.

There were no injuries in the incident, during which some of the residents at the approximately 45-unit trailer park were temporarily evacuated from their residences as a precaution, police said.

The state police bomb squad, which neutralized the two bombs, has notified the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of the incident, Newtown police said.

Newtown Police Captain Christopher Vanghele said that police conducted a search throughout the mobile home park for any additional bombs, but found none.

At about 7:39 pm on March 24, police received a call from a man who lives at the trailer park reporting that someone had vandalized his motor vehicle.

"Upon arriving Officer (Matthew) Pirhala was shown two suspicious devices that appeared to be pipe bombs," police said in a statement. Police then had the area near the bombs cleared of people and called in the state police bomb squad for assistance, police said.

Bomb squad members then safely removed the devices from the place where they had been found, police said. After the bombs were made safe, an inspection showed that the pipes were filled with an "energetic substance" or explosive, police said.

"The substance will be sent for further analysis in a forensic laboratory," according to police.

Capt Vangele declined to provide specifics about the incident. The captain said the police consider the discovery of the two bombs an "isolated incident," which does not pose a threat to the general public.

Capt Vanghele said police have no suspects in the case. After analyzing evidence collected in the investigation, police would hope to make an arrest in the case, he said.

"I'm optimistic that we'll have it resolved in the next couple of weeks," he said, adding, however, that the probe could take longer. "It's an ongoing investigation," he said.

Police ask anyone with knowledge of the incident to contact them at the police station at 3 Main Street, telephone 203-426-5841.

Comments are open. Be civil.

Leave a Reply